I'm living in Kusatsu-shi, Shiga-ken for an undetermined amount of time and teaching English as a second language at a local high school. This journal is to document my experiences, thoughts, and to stay connected with others at home and abroad.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

From the Sketchpad

Before departing for my three months abroad in England my dearest mother gave me a pocket-sized Molleskine travel journal. I used it to take many notes, write stories, and document my trips with as much skew and bias as possible. Two years and two Molleskines later I have much to share about the last few months, especially in picture form.

Himeji-Jou (1/6/2006)

Himeji Castle is one of Japan's best known. I thought it looked pretty menacing to ward off approaching armies. If that was the designer's intention, it worked...no army ever beseiged Himeji-Jou.

Banba-cho no ki (6/16/2006)

This is a lone, leafless tree I saw hanging on the border between a bamboo forest and rice field. Being the middle of June the sparseness of this tree with charcoal bark struck me, as it stood in a limbo with teaming greenery on either side. I thought it should have more life.

Ayutthaya, Thailand (12/29/2005)

Here is a window into the future provided by the lessons of past monachs. We are not invincible.

Kusatsu-shi, Shiga-ken (6/17/2006)

This is the night sky from atop a playground near our home in Kusatsu. At night the stars draw our maps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home